DevOpsChat Special Guest: Viktor Farcic
We are delighted that Viktor Farcic will be joining us for this DevOpsChat to discuss the how DevOps teams can use Docker containers to support the Continuous Delivery and Deployment of their software. You can see the questions we will be discussing at the bottom of this page.
Viktor has a wide experience of software development having worked in various architecture and team leadership roles. He is currently a Senior Consultant at CloudBees (who offer Jenkins in SaaS form) where he provides guidance to customers on a variety of topics related to DevOps, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery/Deployment and Jenkins.
In this video Viktor Farcic shared with us his views on how Docker (and containers in general) can support a DevOps approach. He talks about how containers enable a microservice architecture, provides tips for getting the most out of containerisation (including where to start with legacy applications) and advice for getting started with Docker. He also touches on technical debt, refactoring and automated testing.
Questions for this DevOpsChat
- Q1: What do you think Docker has done for containerisation and why has it become so popular?
- Q2: In what ways do you think Docker can support/enable a DevOps approach?
- Q3: Is it possible/desirable to use Docker with legacy applications and, if so, what approach can people take to get started?
- Q4: How do you think using Docker compares to using a PaaS?
- Q5: What reasons do you think there are for using Docker containers instead of just Virtual Machines?
- Q6: What evolutions or revolutions do you think containerisation may bring in the coming years?